Image Map

Sunday, March 19, 2017

My Beautiful Battle (Entry 1) Breaking stigmas, Being Unfiltered, Sharing My Journey.


This post, hands down, has been one of the hardest for me to begin. It's been about 20 minuets of my fingers tapping back and forth over the keys awaiting some sort of direction or idea from my brain. But my brain is pre-occupied with creating irrational fears, reasons and excuses for why I shouldn't be writing this post. Normally I would have given up by now, but I am reluctant to let my anxiety get the best of me yet again. 
At this point it's a brain-boggling cocktail of both anxiety, nervousness and excitement.

But this is something I have been wanting to share, always.

This is a post extremely personal and close to my heart and hopefully the first of many on this blog. These posts are going to highlight my journey living with mental illnes s. This is something I have always wanted to talk about here. But to be honest I have always convinced myself it wasn't a good idea. Along with the many "Unrealistic/ Irrational fears" There is one "Real" fear I want to touch on before I go any further, so here is a quick disclaimer to address this. 


Mental illness is a very sensitive topic, if any of you feel like you may be triggered or negatively impacted by talk about this topic, please don't read this post. It is also a very personal topic and it manifests differently in every individual. So if commenting please remember, only kindness. 





So I decided to create this series My Beautiful Battle. Because although mental illness is nothing to be taken lightly, I think there is definitely something beautiful in the struggles, this uphill journey of fighting a mental illness. I'll be talking about my personal experience, what works for me, what doesn't. I'll be venting and openly sharing my journey, wherever it takes me.

You may all be wondering why? Why put such personal information all over the internet? Truthfully there are many reasons why I have decided this is a good idea.

I hope I can help raise awareness, because the more people that are open and honest and talk about mental health, the more stigmas will fade. The less sufferers will feel alone and the better the rest of the world will understand.

One in four people (in the world) at some point in their lives are fighting this battle. 
An estimated 450 million people are suffering right now. 
There should be no one feeling isolated and definitely no lack of information around, yet there is.
It shouldn't be taboo to talk about something as prevalent as this, but it is.
This topic shouldn't make people feel shame and weakness, but it does.
So if my fight can inspire any of those other 450 million people, that's reason enough.

In a world that is so connected by social media and the internet we are also getting further and further away from what's real. Everything is filtered and edited to perfection, but we aren't perfect and there is no shame in that.
People talk a lot about how to be happy, but no one really talks about how to be sad.
Because sometimes I get sad, everyone gets sad. I don't want to ignore that.

This blog is just about my life, my journey and I have a bad habit ( like most people) of only writing when I am happy or sharing inspiration or "when I feel like it". But I want to be real, I want to document it all. Even when I don't "feel like it". The good, the bad, the crazy and the struggles. They are all beautiful to me.

















No comments:

Post a Comment