Image Map

Friday, February 17, 2017

10/11-02-2017 Travel Trail (Day 10) My Time in Penang, Flight Drama and a Day at the Airport.



Hey lovelies,
So as promised here is a catch up post of my time in Penang. This was by far my favourite place and I wish I had had planned to spend more time there and I will surely be going back in the future.
I was only really in Penang for a whole "full day" as there was definitely a lot of trouble getting there. But once we were there everything was beautiful the people and the few places we visited were all lovely.
So as I mentioned we only unfortunately we had one day there so my blog won't do this beautiful place as much justice as it deserves, but I will do my darn best.
So without further ado, lets get into it!

Future Yam here: You might want to skip to the 11th the 10th was a big fat fail of a day where I complain.... a lot.





10-02-2017 Worst day of My life? Flight Mix Up, A Day in the Airport. Most Whinny Post Ever?


So the title pretty much sums up this day, it won't be a long post or an interesting day, but it was definitely filled with a lot of learning experiences.
Disclaimer: If you don't like text heavy, boring photos and whinny posts, skip to the next day, but I feel like I deserve a good whinge after this day.
So the story goes...

We made our way to the airport, 9am check out said goodbye to our beautiful room view and after another delicious soy caramel latte to wake me up, we ordered our Uber.
I don't know if I have already mentioned or not, by the experiences with Taxi cabs so far seem to be universally bad everywhere in the world. So we made our way to the airport in a Uber, which I would highly recommend if it is in your country of travel. They are fast, cheap, efficient and usually really friendly. So leaving KL and getting to the airport went all as planned, perfect smooth, not much traffic (for KL) and we got there with plenty of time to spare. But that's when it all fell apart.

 Not only KL airport very difficult to navigate once we finally made our way to the check in counter. (which there seemed to be a never ending maze of).The lovely (yet very unhelpful) lady behind the counter told us we had booked our flights for March, not February. Crushing blow. Then promptly dismissed us to the service counter.

So at this point I wasn't really panicking, which is unusual for me. Maybe it was all the Valium I take to fly or maybe it was my theory being true.
Because everything gives me anxiety, the things that really do (for "normal" people. ie. wrongly booked flights) are easier to deal with because I practice dealing with those emotions everyday when leaving my house, or talking to strangers. But regardless I was pretty fine.... for a while.

But in line at the service counter we were waiting for ages, it seemed the two people in front of me had serious issues figuring out whatever they were doing and my anxiety levels were slowly creeping up, as well as good old line cutting battle between me and the guy b
ehind me.
*Start Rant* 
What seriously makes people think their needs are any more important than anyone else's. Or that their time is anymore important. Or that they don't have to wait in line like everyone else. I don't care if you are a backpacker like me or a famous surgeon or celebrity (He wasn't by the way) everyone is equal, wait your F*%king turn okay?!
He stepped up closer and closer to me until he was standing beside me.
I step, he steps, I step he steps.
Until the point where Nick and I had seriously had enough of a bad day already that we yelled at him and judo chopped him in the throat (Or at least that's how I wish it went down) In reality Nick just sternly said "We were here first" which did the trick and he stood back in his place.
*End Rant* 

So of course the guy at the service counter said there were no refunds, no flight changes, no nothing.
But he could book us (a really expensive) same day flight to Penang. No thanks. We decided to try and book something ourselves. So as plane after plane flew out we literally sat in a McDonalds for hours, trying to figure out what to do next.
Which would have been a lot easier if I wasn't in full blown panic attack mode.
I didn't want to go to Penang, I didn't want to be overseas. I just wanted Jinty (My cat).
I was a sobbing, crying mess begging to be taken back to Australia. The reality really wasn't as bad as my mind had made it seem at the time. I was having a panic attack, you with anxiety know how I felt. It's like, uou honestly think the world is going to end and you are going to die and nothing will ever be okay again. But of course this wasn't the case.

After a call from my beautiful parents, a lot of tears from me and a huge amount of support from Nick they all talked some sense into me. Everything was going to be okay. Nick booked another cheaper flight to Penang with a different company and then we just had to wait some more.






 Lucky for me there seems to be Subway everywhere. (Which I think I might be a little addicted to) But nevertheless after I got some food in my belly things were starting to look up, we played some card games to kill the time and then went to check in to our flight.
So surprise, surprise another issue. It's kinda worring when you get to that point were you expect things to go wrong an you're just like "Oh yeah, of course. I mean why would I think otherwise? Makes sense." So it was a minor issue luckily. But the plane we booked was not in this terminal and we had to catch a bus to the other one. Which of course costed more money and I was already sleepy and grumpy as hell.



Two plane tickets, one day in the airport, one panic attack and one bus ride later we were on our way to Penang.



When the plane arrived at our gate. It was literally like a vessel sent strait from heaven after this killer day. I was literally asleep before the plane was even off the ground.














The plane flight to Penang is only an hour, but I got in a sneaky little nap. When we arrived in Penang I was tired and hungry and still shaken from the difficulty of my day.
So here is a photo of my beautiful and very (un)happy face. To document the fact that I made it through

Finally in Penang we ventured to our hotel and we got my favourite meal I have had all trip from a street vendor about two blocks from where we were staying.









The place we stayed was called Apollo inn and it was awesome. Not only were the rooms really clean and nice. It was the most comfortable bed from the whole trip, which was a really nice gift after a really hard day. In fact, there were even fireworks on the roof, which felt like they were meant for us to celebrate our arrival in Penang.

So with that long day, we passed out.


11-02-2017 My Day in Penang in Pictures. 






I am going to just post all my favourite pictures of Penang on this day. Because I was only there for one day and I wasn't there long enough to learn about the wonders of this beautiful city. But I will be going back one day to further explore. But until then I encourage you guys to go visit if you are travelling through Malaysia, it's beautiful. More so than my photos portray, but here they are:
























































Thanks you all for reading and viewing as always, it's been a pleasure blogging for you all. I absolutely fell in love with Penang, I hope some of my photos inspired you to visit this beautiful place one day.

I am actually writing this blog in the hotel lobby as I have checked out of my last place staying in Singapore. We will be flying home to Australia tomorrow, which is sad but also very exciting because I will miss my travels, but also get to see my beautiful family and friends again.
I hope I get a chance today to sneak into some wifi to write update you on what I did, but if not just be patient and I will get it up for you in Australia. As well as post of what I did during my last few days in Singapore.
Until then, thanks for being here through my whole holiday, I love you all. Wish me a safe flight!



2 comments:

  1. Hugs Yam.
    Nick is Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Hugs back at you*
      Thank you so much, I think Nick is pretty awesome as well. xx

      Delete