Image Map

Friday, February 03, 2017

2-02-2017 Travel Trail - Singapore (Day 2) Amazing Temple, Markets and Food



Hello and welcome back to Day 2 of my crazy adventures, today was our first full day in the beautiful city of Singapore. Today we mostly explored Bugis (where we are staying) and China town, which is home to one of my all time favourite temples. 

So let's jump in. 







Day 2: 


The day began with a nice sleep in, the room we are staying in has no windows, which sounds terrible. But I've come to love it. No sunlight to wake you up, surprise weather, and it also seems to be really quiet in our little room. So no complaints here. 



After a sleepy stumble onto the streets of Singapore we were on the hunt for some breakfast, we really wanted to try out the Hawkers Stalls, which were pretty awesome. Although I wouldn't recommend them to any fellow vegans as I had a really hard time trying to find vegetarian options, let alone vegan! So I suspect the meal that I got wasn't, which was a shame. (It tasted too fishy to me), so it was pretty much left untouched. I have actually been having really good luck where we have been staying, with a lot of Indians being vegetarian and monks being vegans, however todays breakfast was a miss. 






Surrounding the Hawkers Stalls did get to wander around some beautiful markets and Nick got to go into his first temple. There will be no photos of sacred grounds here, as it is often requested that there be no photography. 
But even in places where they do allow I prefer not to take photos, out of respect. But it is also a good way to remain present and in the moment, to see the beauty and peace spirituality brings to the lives of many people. So although I will not be taking photos of any of the temples or sacred places, I would HIGHLY recommend you go experience them yourself. It is very special, for everyone, religious or not. 








Our next stop was China Town, the public transport in Singapore is top notch, so on the train we went, quick, easy, clean and efficient. China town was still bustling (probably from the Chinese New Year) The year of the rooster! There are a plethora of awesome gardens and statues dedicated to this time of the year as the Chinese New Year is significant to many everywhere in the world. 





We came to China Town to see one of the most significant (to me) places I have ever visited. The Buddah Tooth Temple, if you are in Singapore, do yourself a favour and go and see this amazing 5 story Temple. 


For people that have been following my blog for a while will have seen it featured in my last travel to Singapore, but it was such a moment for me that I had to go back!

The 3rd Floor features the story of Buddha, as well as many of his teachings. This is really what helped me to understand the beauty behind Buddhism, the teachings in a very small synopsis, essentially is about ending suffering for all beings. 
Showing kindness and compassion and removing ignorance from ones life. 




The 4th floor features the famous Tooth of Buddha, hence the name of the temple. 





The 5th floor (or roof) features a beautiful garden, which I actually did get a few snaps of. 
The temple itself is filled from floor to ceiling with beautiful golden statues, coins, sculptures and much much more. One of the most spectacular temples I have ever visited, by far. 





After this temple (which I can't talk up enough) we went on the hunt for some more food, after the small disaster that was breakfast I was pretty hungry, but I found the best meal I have had so far, a vegetable something-or-other. Ill insert some photos of the delicious meal as I can't remember what it was called, however if you can get your hands on it, another high recommendation. 








We found this little beauty at the China Town Food Street. So if you are checking out this amazing temple, you should also check out this delicious food, it's only a couple streets down!


Just outside the temple there was a market, lots of very cheap souvenirs, zodiac themed items, bags, bookmarks etc etc. Pretty much everything really. 

Very busy with rows and rows of shops and people. Apparently China town also has a good night market as well. 







After some rest back at our hotel room we decided to head out to Bugis Street Night Market. This is definitely one of the bigger night markets in Singapore, although it is also the same during the day, busy and full of lots and lots of stuff. 


With a fairly late dinner at our new favourite place,  "24 hour Al Bismi". It has a crazy amount of menu options, drinks and desserts!  
When we were all explored out we took our tired selves back to our hotel for an early morning sleep. Because who needs a proper bed time when you are on holidays. 






That concludes my day number 2! I hope you all enjoyed reading as much as I enjoy taking all the photos and putting this little blog together. I am having a pretty great holiday so far, so stick around for more fun photos! 

Till next time,

















No comments:

Post a Comment